Image by: freedigitalphotos.net
If youâ€™d love to harvest juicy organically grown tomatoes from your garden, here are five tips to help get you started…
1. Get the position right – Whether youâ€™re planting tomato plants in garden beds or in pots, make sure you position them in full sun. Tomato plants need about eight hours of sunlight per day.
2. Give them space – Plant tomato seedlings 30 to 40cm apart.
3. Water wisely – Water the base of the plant and avoid watering the leaves. Wet tomato plant leaves are prone to fungal infections. Water tomato plants regularly without allowing the roots to sit in water.
4. Support the stems – Use a bamboo stake or growing trellis to support the plant, gently securing the stems with gardening wire.
5. Provide organic protection – Regularly check the plant for insects that start eating the leaves or fruit. Either remove them manually or use organic insecticides like Margaret Roberts Organic Insecticide or Ludwig’s Organic Insecticide.
This week’s eco tip is courtesy of Monique Warner at All4Women.co.za